Welsh in Chubut, a culture that has been maintained since the 19th century
Brick chapels with no crosses in sight, stone houses, Victorian buildings, choirs, an endless tea service and a language that is still spoken: the heritage of Welsh culture spans the geography of Chubut and is one of its most visible traditions and enjoyable
Since their arrival in Chubut in 1865, the Welsh have developed their culture while maintaining their language, religion and customs. Today you can see that heritage in 18 neo-Gothic Protestant chapels, in stone houses and brick and sheet metal architecture, in the choral activity that brings the community together in different ceremonies, and, of course, in Welsh tea, a cake service, homemade breads and sweets, which linked the gastronomic tradition of Wales with the products found by the settlers in Chubut, and comes from a custom of the colony.
After each religious service or gathering, a community tea was shared in the chapels, where each participant brought their products with family recipes. That spirit of communion around their own products is what they seek to convey in a Welsh tea service, where the queen is black cake.
The colony spread throughout Chubut; for this reason, many localities conserve customs, architecture and gastronomy, in addition to some Welsh names: Gaiman, Trelew (“Town of Luis”), Dolavon (“Whetstone”), July 28, Rawson, Puerto Madryn, Trevelin (” Mill Town”) and Esquel Each place has Welsh footprints to enjoy, a culture that is part of the DNA of Chubut.