Adrenaline in the only Argentine river that flows into Chile: rafting in Corcovado
The cold water hits the face, but the emotion, the screams, the laughter and the imposing landscape make you forget everything A 15-kilometer meandering route between huge canyons allows you to enjoy the vertigo and excitement of rafting in Corcovado, the only Argentine river that flows into the Pacific.
Relaxed start and very exciting later -with rapids II and III-, to enjoy the two hours that the descent lasts, no previous experience is necessary. You want to enjoy all the emotions: from the initial calm to the moments of vertigo, from the imposing landscape of the turquoise blue of Corcovado to surfing the rapids between the paddles and the screams that resound in the stone walls.
Corcovado has three names and one of them is given by the town of Corcovado, where a steep slope loaded with jumps, eddies, meanders, backwaters and explosions of foam and transparent water make it the ideal place to enjoy a descent of 15 kilometers in rafting in the direction of the Pacific Ocean.
You can hire the excursion from Esquel or Trevelin, or in Corcovado.
Recommendations for having a good experience:
- It is not necessary to have experience in this sport because in each raft or gomón there is a guide who gives instructions for navigation and knows the area. Likewise, each person has their own safety equipment that includes a life jacket and helmet, and the rafts are usually accompanied by a safety kayak.
- The ideal season runs from December to March, depending on the conditions and amount of water.
- Excursions can be hired from the tourism agencies of the city of Trevelin and Esquel.
How to arrive:
- Corcovado is located 90 km south of Esquel, head of the Department, and 65 km from Trevelin. 25 km west of the town, is the town of Carrenleufú, bordering Chile, from where you can reach the town of Palena 11 km from the border, crossing the bridge over the Encuentro river.
- You can go to Esquel by plane, it has the Brigadier General Antonio Parodi airport, by bus or car, from Bariloche by the 40 Route or from Comodoro Rivadavia by Route 26 and 40; from Trelew by route 25.
- To Trevelin:
– By Plane: the closest airport is 45 km away and has daily flights.
– By Bus: buses depart every hour every day from the Esquel Bus Terminal where services arrive from different parts of the country, especially from Bariloche, Trelew, Comodoro Rivadavia, Cordoba and Buenos Aires.
– By car: Trevelin is located on Route 259 that connects with the mythical Route 40. From Buenos Aires to Trevelin, the road has 2005 km, and from Rawson, the capital city of Chubut, it has 620 km, by Routes 25, 40 y 259
- Also you can get there from Futaleufú, Chile, retracing 45 km , crossing Futaleufú International Passage.