Caleta Valdés, the colony with the greatest diversity of marine mammals.
The Caleta Valdés operating unit is located within the Valdés Peninsula Protected Natural Area and World Heritage Site, where you can walk the trails enabled for people with reduced mobility. It also has accessible toilets.
It is located 75 kilometers from Puerto Pirámides, by gravel road, a geographical formation of extraordinary beauty, in it you will find a colony of Magellanic Penguins that from the end of September and until mid-April come to this place to reproduce.
In the reserve located on the southern tip of Caleta (Punta Cantor) you can see a rookery of Elephant Seals that approach the coasts for their reproduction and skin shedding. This reserve has permanent Rangers, public toilets, information signs and trails.
Recommended ForAdultGreaterFamilyPeople with Reduced MobilityPeople with disabilitiesChildren
Suggestions recommend to have a good experience:
How to get:
From Puerto Madryn there are 179 kilometers to Caleta Valdés. It is 75 km from Puerto Pirámides, from where you take Provincial Route 2 until you reach the Punta Delgada lighthouse and then turn left 40 km.
Behavior inside the Protected Natural Area
- Minimize noise:alters the behavior of fauna and affect the quality of your visit and the others.
- Keep distance to watch fauna: for your own safety and the animals, too.
- Please, do not feed the fauna inside the Protected Natural Area.
- Do not disturb, touch or catch fauna.
- Deposit the waste generated in the baskets set up for this purpose, located in all the Operating Units, and in the “El Desempeño” Control Post; remember that the Area is a legacy for future generations.
- The informative signs is service for all visitors: please, collaborate with the care and conservation of the signs.
- If you notice actions against the rules inside the Area, please notify the authorities (wild life guards).
- Remember that the Visitor Center of the Isthmus has permanent updating of the climatic conditions, navigation, roads and fauna watching within the Protected Area and information about the pharmacies on duty, nearby hospitals and the emergency services available in the area.
- Remember that on days with a large influx of tourists such as holidays or long weekends, it is convenient that you make your reservation of services before entering the Protected Area.
- Taking into account that there is a general fee and that according to the residence of tourists discounts are made, it is necessary to have some type of personal identification (DNI, driving license, or others) to show at the entrance to the area. It is important that each member of the vehicle has his identification since the rate is per person.
- The Peninsula Valdés Natural Protected Area has an approximate distance of 400 km. from Puerto Madryn, so if your desire is to get to know the whole area, you should start early in the morning because most of the journey is gravel and you can find fauna on the side of the route.
- Travel Agency Income. The fundamental requirements for entry with passengers is to have a Road Map which must be signed by a provincial or national agency and in case the number of passengers exceeds 5, they must enter with a Provincial Tourism Guide.
- Fees of the Peninsula Valdés Natural Protected Areas: Resident: $ 130 – minors and students: $ 220 – national major: $ 430 – Retired: $ 220 – Foreign Minor $ 430
Children under 6, people with different abilities and ex-combatants: S / C – Full Fee: $ 850
For more information:
Peninsula Valdés Administration
Municipalidad de Puerto Pirámides
Telephone: 054 0280 4495000
Web Site: www.puertopiramides.gov.ar
Secretaría de Turismo de Puerto Madryn
Telephone Information Center: (54 280) 4453504 / 4456067
Web Site: www.madryn.travel