Protected Natural Area Piedra Parada
It is a Protected Natural Area which has 132 hectares of Patagonia steppe, located between Languiñeo and Cushamen Departments, 42 km from Gualjaina.
Its conservation objectives include:
- Conserve the essential natural attributes and qualities of the environment in the long term, genetic resources in their dynamic and evolutionary state and established ecological processes.
- Conserve the geological, paleontological, archaeological and cultural attributes of the area to provide opportunities for research, monitoring, education and interpretation, to a degree compatible with the objective of creation.
- Guarantee public use at levels that contribute in the best possible way to the physical and spiritual well-being of visitors and reserve the natural attributes of the area for current and future generations.
- To provide local residents with benefits that are compatible with the objectives of creating and managing the protected area.
- Conserve the scenic beauty of the Piedra Parada Valley for the use, and enjoyment of current and future generations.
- Order current public uses in search of reducing negative impacts on the area.
Under the Provincial Law N° 4.617, the management category assigned V: Terrestrial Landscape/ Marine Protected.
It does not have settlers and the land is specifically for tourist use.
On average, it stipulates that it receives 3500 people annually.
Conserve resources and processes; beauty and geological, paleontological, archaeological attributes of the area for research and monitoring. Guarantee public use. Provide residents with benefits compatible with the area. Reduce negative impacts.