Whales, an unforgettable show
It weighs 40 tons and is 15 meters long. Go under the boat, look at you, walk away and jump acrobatic out of the water. Or you can see her playing from the beach, just 50 meters away.
Living the experience of having the world’s largest mammals so close is something unique and unforgettable. In Chubut, from June to December it is possible.
The Southern Right Whale was the right whale to be hunted because they swim slowly, are curious, and are close to the mainland. What was previously a problem for the species today is one of its attractions. Whether on board or shore watching, Península Valdés offers every year the extraordinary spectacle of observing or being observed by them.
The Peninsula Valdés Protected Natural Area is one of the few places in the world where these large mammals come every year to mate, give birth to their young and nurse. Juveniles also come to socialize and adult females bring their young for weaning.
From June to December, from Puerto Pirámides –the only town within the peninsula–, six companies carry out the sighting on board. Considered the best sighting in the world, this two-hour excursion in a stunning natural setting is an unforgettable experience. In El Doradillo nature reserve, 15 kilometers north of Puerto Madryn and within the jurisdiction of Peninsula Valdés, from June to October you can also observe whales a few meters from the coast. On a deep beach, mothers and their young jump, cause sea explosions or appear vertically, in the “spying” position. Another unmissable natural spectacle.
Recommended ForAdultChildrenFamilyGreaterLGBTQPeople with disabilitiesPeople with Reduced MobilityYoung
Recommendations for having a good experience:
The ideal is to manage to develop a schedule to be able to enjoy a unique show !!!
- For the embarked sighting: bring warm clothing, hat, gloves, comfortable clothes and shoes. Do not forget sunscreen.
- Book the sighting previously shipped.
- Coastal watching in El Doradillo: check beforehand the status of the route and the high tide schedule (the best condition to see whales) at Puerto Madryn Tourism Secretariat.
- Check the weather forecast before visiting Peninsula Valdés: in some cases, the port is closed for security.
If you go by private vehicle to Peninsula Valdes, keep in mind:
- Loading fuel in Puerto Pirámides
- Do not drive more than 60 kilometers per hour: the internal roads are gravel
- There are loose animals
- There is no telephone signal inside Peninsula Valdés
- Only stop at authorized places with the presence of wildlife guards
- Do not remove stones or fossils
- Please, leave no residue
- There are toilets in the Interpretation Center, in Punta
- Pirámide, Caleta Valdés and Punta Norte
We present all the qualified providers:
- Hydro Sport. Tel. +54-280-449-5065, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. – www.hydrosport.com.ar
- Jorge Schmid – Punta Ballena. Tel. +54-280-449-5112/5012, e-mail email@example.com – www.puntaballena.com.ar
- Peke Sosa Turismo Aventura. Tel. +54-280-449-5010, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org – www.pekesosa.com.ar
- Southern Spirit (Yellow Submarine). Cel. +54-9-280-458-2139, e-mail email@example.com – www.southernspirit.com.ar
- Tito Bottazzi (BKB SRL). Tel. +54-280-449-5050, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org – www.titobottazzi.com.ar
- Whales Argentina. Tel. +54-280-449-5015, e-mail email@example.com – www.whalesargentina.com.ar
For more information:
You can arrive from:
You can fly to the following airports:
Trelew: International Airport Almirante Zar – REL
Address: Camino Vecinal Dr. Mariano González km. 9
Tel: 54-2804433 443 / www.aeropuertotrelew.com
Puerto Madryn: The Tehuelche
Address: National Route 250, a 5.3 km.
Tel: 54-280-445 6774 / www.aa2000.com.ar
You can also get there by bus.
Trelew Bus Station
Address: Urquiza 170 between Mathews and Lewis Jones
Tel: (0280) 442-0121
Puerto Madryn Bus Station
Street Dr. Avila s/nº
How to get to Puerto Pirámides
Company Mar y Valle (consult schedules, they vary according to the season), tel. +54-280-445-0600. Puerto Madryn Bus Terminal, Dr. Avila s / n, Office 5.
Consult travel and tourism agencies authorized for the excursion with on board sighting. Secretaría de Turismo de Puerto Madryn, Av. Julio A. Roca 223, tel. 0280-445-3504/6067.
Download our maps where you can see all the routes to get there easily and quickly